Thursday 19 September 2013



Philippians 4:6-7
In nothing be anxious, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.

Night falls on a rainy, cold Cape Town South Africa .  .  . 
What should have been early summer, has suddenly turned into typical Cape Town winter, with continious rain and even promises of snow.

Sitting inside my house, watching the raindrops glisten on the window, I wallow in the cosy warm inside of a comfortable house - able to enjoy grey night outside and the loud noise of rain on the roof of the inside entertainment area. How I love the idea that I am safe and warm in a house in spite of the wet and cold conditions outside. It makes me feel invincebale; almost as if it has taken some kind of bravery on my part to have been able to whether the weather in one way or the other. Yes, there is some kind of comfort in being sheltered and warm inside a building in dark, wet conditions like this.

Then, suddenly my thoughts turn to those people who have no shelter . . .  those poor souls who are absolutely exposed to the total onslaught of the cold and wet, dark night. How frightened they must be! How lost they must feel . . .

I cannot help but wonder; what will they use to shelter them from the icy conditions? Yesterday's paper, an old dirty blanket, some scraps of torn colthing or cardboard? How will they numb the pain of a cold that can turn your blood into ice? Will they sniff glue? Drink alcohol or spirits? Smoke pot or tik? Are they afraid that if they go to sleep tonight, they may not wake up tomorrow morning? Perhaps waking up in the morning is actually what they fear most?

You and I face our own fears; perhaps the fear of an unknown future having lost a job or business, or perhaps the fear of an incurable disease or of a spouse showing early signs of dementia. Maybe the fear of not having made enough provison for your retirement is keeping you awake at night. 

Even in the midst of our apparent comfortable cosy lives, we may face our biggest fears. I have learnt that if I don't constantly remind myself of the One in whom my future is safe and secure, I may easily give in to thoughts of fear and doubt. 

Then I realize that this is not my home; I'm just a sojourner in a transient and temporary world. I am a traveller on my way to my eternal destination. I can take my cares and lay it down at the feet of Jesus my Saviour, Abba Father - our provider; and embrace the comforting presence of the Holy Spirit. I will lay me down tonight and sleep peacefully. 




No comments:

Post a Comment