Thursday 1 August 2013


Daily Devotion: Daaglikse Pitkos
What is it like living in a city on the Southern most tip of Africa? 
For people living on another continent it may conjure up pictures of unspoiled bush and vast grasslands; herds of wild antelope migrating at an erratic and hurried pace, or elephants, hippos and lions lazing around waterholes under the blazing African sun. The romanticized picture straight from the novel by Baroness Karen Von Blixen-Finecke is what most people still want to believe life on the African continent to be like. If you consider the glorious sunsets and bright and beautiful year-round sunny days, this could almost be true. But for city dwellers like me, living in a suburb near Cape Town, life is pretty much the same as living in any other city anywhere in the world; rushing in peak hour traffic to and from work, hurrying to get supper done, preparing for work tomorrow and flopping into bed at 11h30pm just to get out of bed again tomorrow morning to face another day of urban life; hardly noticing the brightly coloured brushstrokes across the early morning sky.
I read a quotation today that really made me think. 
My meditation for today comes from the words of the Apostle Paul as written in Phillipians 4:11, 12, 13
11 Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am. 12 I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want. 13 I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me.
Amplified Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment