Saturday 13 July 2013

DAILY DEVOTION

Daily Devotion

His strength is perfect

Isiah 40:29 - 31



DAILY DEVOTION

Have you ever felt so tired that you can't get out of bed?  And once you have made it out of bed you battle to put one foot in front of the other and wonder why on earth you got out of bed in the first place? The tiredness that numbs your brain has seeped into your very bones and this makes the mere act of breathing an effort.

This week an elderly lady phoned me and she sounded so tired and despondent that I could actually hear the utter sadness in her voice. Her grown-up son who has battled with an addiction for seventeen years has fallen back into the abbyss of drug abuse after he has been clean for more than two years. His elderly parents were so hopeful and supportive during the two years that he was clean and their joy knew no bounds. Then, one day he didn't come home and the nagging feeling that something was wrong somewhere became a reality when he eventually pitched up after several days and their worst nightmare was confirmed; he was back on drugs.

"I am too tired to get out of bed," she says in a thin, soft voice. "I don't even have the energy to cook food".
I felt so helpless to comfort this dear old lady. How can I tell her I share in her pain if I have no idea what she is going through? I cannot even imagine the heartache and sorrow parents must feel when a child falls back into the destructive pattern of lies and deceit that accompanies an addictive lifestyle.
All I could really do is assure her that I will pray for them and promise to follow up with a phone call from time to time. I reminded her of the blessed assurance given us in Isaiah
Isaiah 40:29-31
29  He gives power to the weak. He increases the strength of him who has no might.
30  Even the youths faint and get weary, and the young men utterly fall;
31  But those who wait for Yahweh will renew their strength. They will mount up with wings like eagles. They will run, and not be weary. They will walk, and not faint.

May you too be comforted today in the knowledge that our strength comes from the Lord and that we can rest perfectly in His power.


No comments:

Post a Comment